Since the last time I posted about our course prototype, our group has slightly shifted. As I’ve mentioned, I am working with Angela and Sam. We were attempting to use Google Classroom at first, as our LMS. As I’ve stated before, we were having troubles finding an LMS that we thought would work well for a younger group of students. We thought Google Classroom would be a good solution, since we would be able to teach our students how to use the LMS at school.
However, as we attempted to set up our Google Classroom, we found that it was not organizing the way that we wanted it to. Maybe this is admitting defeat, but we had a specific way to organize our modules in mind, and when Google Classroom didn’t work the way we wanted, we may or may not have abandoned ship.
Photo Credit: Stanisław Krawczyk Flickr via Compfight cc
We designed our course as a blended prototype. We anticipated teaching some of the aspects of our course traditionally at school, albeit with added technology. However, each of our artifacts are presented as flipped lessons, with a lesson at home and an in class assignment. We wanted to be able to organize our course so that all of the content for one module flowed easily and was easy to find. Also, we wanted it to be as organized as we would make for a real classroom of grade threes and their parents.
(I know that you can teach students how to do something, even if it’s not well organized but… it is one less step when everything is clear and easy to find.)
This is a lot of preamble and justification to say that we decided to switch to a blog in order to organize our prototype.
We decided to use WordPress, since it was the platform we were all used to for writing our blog posts for class. We added our rationale, and the course profile to the blog, as well as our modules, neatly organized by category. I am really happy with how it turned out.
With our modules, we each used different technologies to complete the modules, including asking students to use our “class SeeSaw” to complete their work. Since we didn’t actually post lessons on SeeSaw, we didn’t provide a link to our SeeSaw. For communication, we set up a parent page, as well as an FAQ.
Overall, I am happy with how it turned out, even if we went away from a more traditional LMS. I think one of the hardest parts of this assignment was trying to create something with no examples, so we had no way of knowing if we were on the right track or not. According to the marking system that we’ve been given (both by the syllabus and our work in class the other week) I believe that we are on the right track. However, believing and knowing are two different things so I am anxious to see other examples!